Monday, March 29, 2010

Taking P90x to the real world

Wayne and I have been waylaid by sickness and a death in the family this month so we are only starting week 7 of P90x instead of Week 9 like we should. I try to stay active and fit in workouts whenever possible even when we are off schedule. Can't say the same for Wayne who almost relishes interruptions. But he's hanging in there and bringing it at least three times a week. My goal is to stay on schedule so we can finish our 90 days according to the program.

After about 50 days on P90x Wayne and I are seeing some impressive changes in our bodies and our endurance. On the latest episode of The Office, office manager Michael Scott challenged his employees to pump out 25 pushups. Only one employee accomplished the feat and was rewarded with a day off work. Just for kicks I dropped down to see if I could do 25 without stopping. Piece of cake, my friends.

I couldn't have done it a month ago.

I realize my boss will never give me a day off work for doing 25 pushups or 15 pull-ups. But the skills and strength I've gained in the last month does translate to more efficiency in the real world. When you have a strong core you have a strong back. Anyone over 40, 30 even, has experienced some degree of back pain. Our vertebrae compress over time. Nerves pinch. Calcium deposits occur putting pressure on the spinal column. While there is no way to avoid the aging process...well, there's one way, but we won't consider that option, working and strengthening our back and core can alleviate many of the problems an aging, overworked back presents.

If you haven't started P90x or another of the awesome, heart pumping Beachbody workouts, I highly recommend that you do. Your back will thank you. You won't have any problem keeping up with the kids or the dog.

Who knows? You might even win a day off work sometime by pumping out 25 pushups. If you go to work in the fictional world of Michael Scott, that is.

If you forgot, I am also a Product Partners Affiliate.

No comments:

Post a Comment