Tuesday, December 15, 2009

We are Killing Ourselves

Any plans for Christmas yet? I have more than enough invitations to fill my day. And they all involve eating and sitting around the TV complaining that we didn't get the gifts we asked for.

We live in a society where we'd rather watch TV than go for a walk. We'd rather go out for dinner at a restaurant we can't afford than eat a healthy home cooked meal. And we'd rather spend a late night in front of the computer than get a good night's sleep.

What's going on? We know what to do to stay healthy. We just aren't doing it. Each of us needs to decide to embrace healthier habits by literally changing the way we live. Until a few years ago I didn't know it was possible to grow old without a dependence on prescription medication. Everyone I know over the age of 50 is on at least ONE medication for high blood pressure, sugar, high cholesterol, and/or some type of pain management.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Are these medications really necessary? According to the bombardment of commercials produced by the pharmeucetical companies, they are. To maintain the quality of life protrayed on those commercials, we should be taking 15 or 20 per day. We won't even discuss the side effects they warn us about very quickly at the end of the commercial.

I say, Enough! Stop the madness. I'm not here to suggest a person shouldn't take the advice of his/her doctor. Most of us will require prescription drugs at some point or another. But should they be a way of life?

By all means, get and stay healthy. But I hope there is another, more dignified way to grow old. My goal is to remain drug prescription free for the duration of my time on this planet.

That's what this blog is about. I am here to chronicle my journey though life as an advocate of a healthy, active lifestyle. And I plan to do that without counting pill bottles on my windowsill every morning the way my grandparents did.

No comments:

Post a Comment