Thursday, December 17, 2009

Moderation is Key

You’re probably like me and your inbox is inundated with emails claiming to hold the secret to staying thin forever. They make you feel like a failure or lazy if you struggle with your weight.

Let’s face it; it’s hard to lose weight. It’s even harder to maintain. Food tastes good. I love it. I love the experience of eating. But I love even more how I feel when I open my closet and fit into every single outfit in there. (That isn’t exactly true. Some have gotten too baggy lately and I haven’t yet found someone to pass them onto.)

This time of year I don’t even think about losing weight. Don’t get me wrong. I still obsess over maintaining whatever my current weight is—which is always at least 5 pounds more than I like.

Years ago I started a precedent by sending a platter of cookies to work with my husband. It seemed harmless until I began to focus on a healthier lifestyle. Now everyone on his shift wants the cookies. I enjoy creating and baking. I like the compliments and big deal they make over them. But I can’t resist nibbling at the broken ones when they come out of the oven.

I believe in a lifestyle of moderation. I’ll bake the cookies and nibble at a few. But no cookie tastes as good as having my clothes fit or being able to run up a flight of steps without collapsing in a panting, heaving, red-faced mess.

It’s unlikely I will reply to the weight loss magic messages in my inbox. Practice moderation and save your money. You’ll need it to buy the ingredients for your Christmas cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment